In this flash blog post, I’ll cover a few tips on how to put together an effective video for equity crowdfunding. In future posts, I will develop some of the ideas.
So here’s what you should consider for your video:
- You can’t go live without a video. None of the main platforms will let you!
- The video can’t make your campaign, but it certainly can break it! There are plenty of factors that need to work in your favour for you to reach your investment objective. And the video is one of the important ones (and under your control)!
- It’s a worthwhile investment. You should budget at least £2,000 for it. An amateurish video won’t cut it.
- Remember, you’re not only selling your product. You’re selling your business model. Make sure you show how big the market is and how you plan to grow in it.
- You need to inspire trust. As I have mentioned before, a lot of the more sophisticated investors ‘back the jockey and not the horse’. As a company founder, you need to appear in the video and show confidence.
- Think about how you present yourself. You are not ‘asking for money’. You are offering an opportunity to invest (that can’t be missed).
- Explain the ‘reasons to believe’. You could include quotes from your team, testimonials from clients, lead investors, prove of traction, etc.
- You should certainly instil some of your personality in the video. If you have a sense of humour, by all means, show it.
- Pre-empt the most obvious questions and cover them in the video. Things like the market size, why now…
- Finish with a strong call to action. Something on the lines of invest now. You should give a sense of urgency. It’s now or (possibly) never.
- Keep it short and sweet. 3-4 minutes should be enough.
With thanks to the amazing Valentí Acconcia, who also wrote 11 tips for your crowdfunding video in his blog (in Spanish).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.